1. WHAT IS KICKSTART?
We are a wholly-owned corporate venture capital subsidiary of Philippine telco firm, Globe Telecom, a leading Philippine digital communications company affiliated with SingTel and Ayala Corporation. Kickstart was incorporated in March 2012 as a response to the gap in systemic support for startups in Southeast Asia. Today, we are:
- An active institutional investor based in the Philippines. We invest in digital startups, from seed-stage to post-“Series A,” creating access to capital for early-stage innovation.
- A preferred local / lead co-investor of many investors. We like co-investing with other financial and strategic investors, and we find that co-investors appreciate our rigor and hands-on approach.
- An active collaborator. We open up our business networks to provide market access especially to affiliate companies in the Globe Telecom, Singtel, and Ayala Corporation circles. We have a great mentor network; we host expert-run workshops for our portfolio companies; and team members spend 40-50% of their time doing 1:1 mentoring with startup founders.
We look for startups in the following categories:
- Digital media businesses: EduTech. HealthTech. FinTech. eCommerce. SaaS. Digital Concierge. Social Impact.
- Technology innovations: Technology applications that enhance customer experience, improve product quality, increase users and revenues, and reduce operating costs. Energy efficiency and storage. Spectral efficiency.
- Global or Regional Web and Mobile Platforms: Software / Applications / Services vs. Hardware. Platform vs. Content. Communities. We are looking for the potential to scale.
- Disruptive business models: A bias for emerging market models.
We invest up to US$5Million in growth-stage companies. Our typical early-stage deal is from US$100,000 to US$500,000 bite size; and we do seed-stage deals at US$30,000 for 15% equity.
Send us your pitch deck through the “Contact Us” page. We’ll review it and respond to you within seven (7) days from date of receipt:
- If we like it initially: We will schedule a face-to-face meeting to discuss your idea and execution plan, and if the initial meeting pans out, we’ll progress to deal and diligence discussions.
- If we find it out of scope or off-strategy for Kickstart: We will respect your time and immediately decline.
It depends. Large investments take more time because of due diligence, negotiation of investment terms, and deal structuring. Seed-stage investments can go quite quickly, especially if there are no complicated legacy structures. Your time is valuable, and we’ll keep things as simple and straightforward as appropriate. We’ll also use the time to get to know you, and give you the opportunity to get to know us (remember: it’s your choice, too).
- We think innovation should be borderless.
- Your startup can be located anywhere in the world. We welcome diversity, and have no nationality restrictions. We like ninjas and Jedi.
We have a “swag” bag for our portfolio companies: a list of Kickstart benefits and how to use them. It includes:
- Mentorship: A pool of mentors composed of experienced startup founders and subject matter experts complemented by learning sessions on building lean startup, growth hacking, mobile apps development, etc.
- Facilities and Resources: Free use of our co-working space (based on availability) and free credits from our partners: Globe Digital Media (Php2Mn mobile ads); Amazon Web Services (US$5k cloud hosting credits); ZenDesk (US$3,450 customer service support x 12 mos); Payroll Hero (12mos).
- Market Access: Introductions to Globe, Innov8 Sparks, Ayala Group, and SingTel affiliate companies for partnerships and commercial deals. Our combined 501 million subscriber base across Southeast Asia