We are a Corporate Venture Capital firm based in the Philippines and a wholly-owned subsidiary of leading telco Globe Telecom. We were incorporated in March 2012 as a response to the gap in systemic support for startups in Southeast Asia. Today, we are:
- The most active institutional investor based in the Philippines. We invest in startups/founders/technologies anywhere in the world: from Early-Stage (Pre-A to Series A) to Growth-Stage (Series B to C);
- A preferred local/lead co-investor of many investors. We like co-investing with other financial and strategic investors, and we find that co-investors appreciate our rigor and hands-on approach.
We invest in tech startups offering innovative, scalable, and sustainable technology solutions that build a pathway to a future we believe in:
- EARLY-STAGE INNOVATION
- Deal Stage: Pre-A to Series A
- Bite Size: US$100K to US$500K per deal for a minority stake
- Geography: Primarily PH-based teams, with a high potential for international expansion
- Focus: Deals catering to the changing digital lifestyle of consumers and workflows of businesses
- A bias for the application of existing technologies with novel business models that are viable in emerging market conditions
- GROWTH-STAGE INNOVATION
- Deal Stage: Series A to Series C
- Bite Size: US$1M to US$5M per deal for a minority stake
- Geography: Global
- Focus: Technology, Media, Telecommunications (TMT) with near- to medium-term strategic benefit to Globe Telecom, Kickstart’s parent company
- Typically includes core technological innovation addressing strategic priorities e.g. spectrum / network efficiency, data analytics, solutions to address emerging market challenges for consumers and enterprises
- AYALA CORPORATION TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION VENTURE (ACTIVE) FUND
- Deal Stage: Series A to Series C; exceptionally for Pre-A and C+
- Bite Size: US$1M to US$10M per deal
- Geography: Global
- Focus: Four strategic investment themes as follows --
- The Frictionless Future
A seamless integration of digital x traditional channels
- eCommerce and Omni-Channel
- Fintech / Digital Wallets / Blockchain
- Internet of Things
- On-Demand Services; Sharing Economy
- From Automation to Augmentation
Greater symbiosis between man and machine
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning; Robotics
- Big Data and Analytics
- Cloud Computing
- A World of Plenty
Emerging technologies that will reframe scarcity and abundance of resources
- Distributed Energy and Micro-Grids
- Water / Wastewater Technology and Businesses
- Environmental Technology / Waste Management
- Clean Energy / Energy Storage
- Access to Food
- New Frontiers in Real Estate
Innovations in property market, models, and management systems
- New Geographies and Markets
- New Business Models
- Real Estate, Retail and Customer Technology
- Smart Buildings, Communities, and Homes
- The Frictionless Future
Send us your investment proposal or pitch deck thru the “Contact Us” page. We’ll review it and respond to you within 3-4 weeks from our date of receipt:
- If we like it initially: Typically, we’ll respond with questions, and work towards scheduling a call or face-to-face meeting to discuss your pitch deck in detail;
- If we find it out of scope or off-strategy for Kickstart: We’ll respect your time and decline immediately.
It depends. Large investments take more time because of due diligence, negotiation of investment terms, and deal structuring. Early-stage investments can go quite quickly --- from initial introduction to wiring of funds --- especially if there are no complicated legacy structures. Your time is valuable, and we’ll keep things as simple and straightforward as appropriate. We’ll also use the time to get to know you, and give you the opportunity to get to know us (remember: it’s your choice, too).
Before you hit “Submit” in the Contact Us page, a few reminders for your guidance...
- For startup founders who pitched their business to Kickstart without attaching their investment proposal or pitch deck:
To manage our workflows and make the best use of time, we need you to send an actual pitch deck and please make sure it falls within our investment themes described above.
- For startup founders who pitched without attaching an investment proposal and concerned with non-disclosure agreement or intellectual property:
Like most investors, Kickstart will not sign a non-disclosure agreement with anyone. This is standard practice in the investing world: we see hundreds of ideas and pitches, many of them very similar to each other; it is neither possible nor practical to keep track of whose idea is what. All our engagements work this way: we treat all information shared with us as confidential. Integrity matters in this space, and it is a core company value. We wouldn't damage our reputation - and all future deal flow - for any single deal.
- For startup founders who pitched without attaching an investment proposal and insists on meeting first with the Kickstart Deal Team before sharing any information:
We respect your time, and ours, by setting-up meetings after we understand the specific proposition and it is within our investment parameters. We appreciate that this requires trust on both sides, and have found that most seasoned founders are comfortable with this process. We are happy to respond promptly to a clear pitch deck with relevant data to share.